Wednesday, September 16, 2009

To The Young Patient at the ED Tonight...

You came in to the ED with lips as blue as sapphires and skin as purple as fresh spring lavender. You were writhing in gut-wrenching pain as the nurse tried to place an oxygen mask around your perfect nose. You refused. It hurt too much. You've been here before. Your blood flows the wrong way in your heart and you have reverse pulmonary hypertension. They can't operate. You're "end stage."

I watched as a team of 20+ medical professionals attend to your care, wanting, trying, hoping to do everything that they could. My pulse quickened and my blood pressure elevated. Just like yours. I wanted nothing more than to help, but I couldn't. I'm only a volunteer.

As I stood there watching your low blood oxygen saturation levels and frighteningly high blood pressure I was thinking about how excited I am to be entering the medical profession. I can't wait to gain the knowledge and expertise so that one day I can be on your team of doctors, performing an ultrasound of your abdominal cavity to determine what is wrong. I'm pursuing this path for you and the countless others like you out there so that I can help make a difference in your lives.

We are only on this earth once. I don't want to squander my time here in the frivolous pursuit of wealth of material satisfactions. I want to helps others to live, to experience the amazing phenomenon that is human existence for as long as they can.

I know that you are strong and will fight till the very last day. I may never know what happens to you. Just know that you are a special gift to me and I promise that I will do everything I can to become the best Doctor I can be. For you.

No comments:

Post a Comment